Friday, April 4, 2008

thing 12; digg, mixx, etc.

I looked at this book review in the NYT and found I could "share" it as a permalink by embedding it into the blog. The NYT says that access to the article will be ensured, even after it becomes part of the NYT archive.

I looked at Digg, Newsvine, Reddit, Mixx, StumbleUpon and my eyes began to glaze over. Some of them (I forget which at the moment) have advertising...not what I want to connect to from a work site and one of them even said something about receiving ad revenue back if you write something in a column in your account, which is not ethical in a public entity like our library.

Each new thing (and iteration of the details of the thing) requires learning some other site or utility's organization. It is too much.

In reality, I am seeing these kinds of newsfeeds and popularization/prioritization every time I log in and out of a personal Yahoo email account. This is good enough for me.

The ability to add a permalink into a website or blog, as the NYT offered is more useful and more productive than getting yet another account.

No comments: