Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thing 9, Online Collaboration Tools, OR: the case of the refreshing screen

I requested permission to edit the Declaration in Google Documents. The request must have triggered some message to the 23 Things people or account, because I also received in my gmail account, a link to the Zoho version...which I don't recall requesting!!!

I totally agree with the comments in the 23 Things blog,
which I read before starting this thing

a. the Google documents editor drove me nuts! The screen refreshes so quickly that you can't make your edit and save it in a timely way. It appears that the screen is on its own timer for refreshing and it is not keyed to whether you are keying something in or not. Finally, I just rushed in and clicked on something and managed to get the word truth in the first line edited and saved into a larger size.

I could not edit the copy of the Zoho document that was sent to me. After reading the Books Rock! comment on the 23 Things blog, I decided that it wasn't worth it to set up an account...Books Rock! said that the document goes away after login and she/he could not find, retrieve or upload the practice document.

Given the quirks of these document editors, though they are a good idea, they appear REALLY flawed and why would we want to share document editing this way? There must be better tools....or am I missing something here?

What would the founding fathers think?
I imagine that the concept of collaborative editing would appeal to them very much, though perhaps only Franklin and Jefferson would become beguiled by our 20th/21st c. technology!

No comments: