Monday, April 7, 2008

Thing 15 Online Games and Libraries

It was hard for me to believe that I should be playing a game at work and that it was work. I created a pirate and bilged and carpented in Puzzle Pirates. I wasn't sure what I was doing intially in bilging but the people on the ship I ended up on were nice to me. I got to neophyte status on both tasks (carpentering was more intutive for me) and earned some pieces of eight, that I had no idea what to do with. The games would end and the captain(?) would tell me to go offshore to an island. Someone asked me to be their hearty and I agreed but I guess I would have to hearty them back to see them on my list of people???

The value of this for me was realizing that learning about it was experiential - NOT by reading about how to play the games (which I did some of but didn't really understand until I actually started to do them). Also, whenever someone wrote something nice to me, it was pleasant, as was any positive feedback from the games themselves.

I wonder where the game is on my computer; it took a long time to download it and we have a fast connection here at work.

I looked at the Second Life video. It didn't have much narration, and therefore was just primarily visual and not informative enough for me. The Ohio University video was better, but being a promotion, not meaty enough, again so much more visual than informational. The link to the explanation about Alliance Library System's Info Island was the most informative.

I, however, am truly puzzled about the virtual world of Second Life. I would like to check out Info Island, but don't have enough time to invest in joining Second Life to see it. The fact that the Allliance Library worked with database vendors to have instances of the databases within the virtual world sounds intriguing.

I am not sure, though, other than in a public library, how this helps. Certain teens assuredly spend a lot of time in virtual universes. I'm reluctant to do so myself as I already feel married to the computer! It seems like it would be addicting and I'm already addicted enough to the screen.

Experience tells me though, that to really understand, I would need to experience.

But, shouldn't we also be reinforcing things like face to face interactions and getting up off ones behinds and moving in the real world so that we don't have present and future generations becoming big hunks of lard?

No comments: